Monday, January 9, 2012

Perspective



The above link is for a web article called 30 things to stop doing to yourself.  This article really makes you think about the way we treat ourselves.  It is a really good and inspiring read.  My favorite one as far as weight-loss goes is this, "You can’t start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading your last one."  We have all tried to lose weight before.  Sometimes I have been successful sometimes I have not but all in all I am back here unhappy with my weight.  When I read this quote it made me think about all the past times I have tried to lose weight.  What my trigger foods or events were.  The things that made me give up and decide just to be overweight forever.  It also made me think that I can’t go back and change those things, BUT I can make sure that I don't do that in the future.  NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE F*CKED IT UP BEFORE.  I would rather fail 100 times and get it right eventually then never try at all.  I had a semi bad weekend.  Meaning... I didn't stay within calories, but I didn't eat the terrible things I did before.  I had a chicken sandwich with wheat bread no cheese instead of a fatty burger with tons of bacon and cheese.  I had regular French fries as opposed to sweet potato fries, but I didn't eat all of them.  After that meal when I ate frozen yogurt I didn't throw my hands up and say "oh well I already ate bad I might as well just keep going and start fresh tomorrow".  I thought that at first, before I pile Reese’s and cookie dough on my yogurt.  When I sat down to eat it with my friends, I thought about how upset at myself I would be if I ate everything in that bowl.  I changed my thinking.  I still ate frozen yogurt AND I still had Reese’s and cookie dough.  I did however stay within reason.... I didn't over do it.  I pushed the majority of toppings to the side and just ate the fro-yo that was a delicious treat itself.  I put the bowl down when I had enough, NOT when the bowl was empty.  This reminded me of this picture on Pinterest and it made me chuckle.  How many times do we do this?  




I am guilty of this... way too often.  This analogy really puts it into perspective for me!  How ridiculous does this sound when we are talking about our cell phones.  We need to think of it this way when it comes to our diets.  Although I ate badly, I started fresh at every meal.  I didn't starve myself to make up for eating a lot and I also didn't overdo the rest of my day either.  When it was time for my next meal (I eat every 2-3 hours) I evaluated how hungry I was and had a small snack.  Ultimately, no matter how many times you fail, there will always be another chance and you’re not going to succeed at it if you’re still dwelling on the last failure.   


No comments:

Post a Comment